By Joe Mellor, Deputy Editor
From award-winning actor to model, Colm Meaney’s latest role will see him pose as Oscar Wilde. The 61-year-old will portray the famous Irish writer as a sitter for the 2014 Sky Portrait Artist of the Year. Wilde’s writings and quotes are still loved today, so the TLE thought it would be a great excuse to share some of his famous quotes with you…enjoy
1.True friends stab you in the front.
2. Women are made to be loved, not understood.
3. When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is.
4. I see when men love women. They give them but a little of their lives. But women when they love give everything.
5. Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes.
6. Men always want to be a woman’s first love – women like to be a man’s last romance.
7. I am so clever that sometimes I don’t understand a single word of what I am saying.
8. Always forgive your enemies – nothing annoys them so much.
9. We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
10. Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about.
11. One should always be in love. That is the reason one should never marry.
12. I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.
13. It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious.
14. Work is the curse of the drinking classes.
15. Morality is simply the attitude we adopt towards people whom we personally dislike.
16. There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.
17. Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.
18. Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months.
19. I can resist anything but temptation.
20. What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.